Friday, September 22, 2006

Day One

The name of this blog is "digital_sessions". This is the title of my first compact photography book published by DAAB gmbh (Koln, Germany) in 2005. I want to express my deepest respect and admiration for Ralf DAAB, the founder and owner of DAAB Publishing. Ralf found the title of the book and I think it is a good line not only for the book, but also extended to my whole creation. He believed more than me in the potential success of "digital_sessions" and he was right. My book was sold all over the world. I think the most important thing is that peoples from different cultural areas decided to take the book home. This means Ralf was right: my images are telling the right stories. And I am more than content that my artistic message passed different cultural frontiers reaching so many peoples.
You can find here the link to Daab and their exquisite site.
And here is the cover of "digital_sessions".

I create images. I think it doesn't matter what the camera is capturing in a certain moment. The only important thing is what the artist decides to show in the end - what IMAGE of the initial IMAGE. The artist is showing A MEMORY of the image created before.
There are things that can be captured in images. And there are things that can be expressed only in words. I do both.
I found that is very hard to choose the first image for this blog. I have many on-going image projects, but in the end I decided to start with a certain portrait. It was shot in the autumn of 2005 and it is called "Lolita". I discovered her when she was only 14 and a half, in the summer of 2004 at seaside. Since then I captured her special beauty every year. And I will do so until she will be 20 - when her "teenager time" will be over...


I will finish my first post in this blog by quoting a character - "The Professor" - played by American actor Richard Farnsworth in Sydney Pollack's movie Havana. He is telling Robert Redford: "Woman is THE BEST. Everything else is bullshit". And I think he is right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment