Monday, September 3, 2007

Day 351 - Icon, September issue


Bought latest issue - September - of one of my favorite mags: ICON. Wonderful cover. Inside, many "delicatessen". Also, they printed a large feature on kitsch, of course. Among many things to keep in mind, these words of Peter Saville - Icon's guest editor for this issue.
"Art, fashion, sex. These are what I would look for on the shelves of the newsagent, and they are inseparable to me. There's a reciprocal relationship between art and fashion and the aesthetics of sex. I grew up on 1970s Playboy and Penthouse, which led me to Guy Bourdin and Helmut Newton. The disciplined aspect of eroticism parallels the discipline needed in design. We talk about convergence a lot now but unless things inform one another then I personally don't see the point. I don't see the point in art that doesn't in some way inform and influence the way we live. And that, I guess, is the designer element in me. Pop art was particularly important to me - it was the only art I knew".
So, who is this Peter Saville? For me, a guy that knows what he's talking about. I take his word... He is a designer.
"Ever since his first work for the fledgeling Factory Records in the late 1970s, PETER SAVILLE has been a pivotal figure in graphic design and style culture. In fashion and art projects as well as in music, his work combines an unerring elegance with a remarkable ability to identify images that epitomise the moment". This is the first phrase from Peter Saville's portrait written by Design Museum.
Link: http://www.designmuseum.org/design/peter-saville

And don't miss the next issue of ICON. They will have Giorgio Armani as guest editor.


Mr. Peter Saville - portrait by William Selden


0 comments:

Post a Comment